Second edition of NLD is printing

Second edition of NLD is printing

Postby admin » May 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

We would like to share that the second edition of the New Lakota Dictionary is currently being printed and should be available sometime in July.

The second edition contains 3,160 new word entries, there are many additions to the grammar section and many overall improvements in the text.

We hope that Lakota language students will enjoy this edition of the dictionary.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Second edition of NLD is printing

Postby johnp » May 10th, 2011, 11:02 pm

Yay, great news. I've been waiting so long.
tókša akhé
John :D
johnp
Activity level - ičíyamni
Activity level - ičíyamni

Postby Mikael » May 11th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Yet another reason to look forward to this summer after a severe winter...
Thanks to all of you who put so much effort into keeping the language alive.
Wóphila,
Mikael
Lé Mikael miyé yeló.
Mikael
Activity level - ičítopa
Activity level - ičítopa

Postby Nina » May 12th, 2011, 3:48 pm

admin wrote:We would like to share that the second edition of the New Lakota Dictionary is currently being printed and should be available sometime in July.

This is the best news of the year so far! To be sure of your place at the front of the queue, you can pre-order NLD2 here:

http://stores.languagepress.com/Detail.bok?no=35

I've placed my order, I'll be looking out for the postman in a few weeks' time!

Nina
Nina

I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Follow this link to learn how you can help too: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4005
Nina
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akézaptaŋ

new lakota dictionary

Postby HANK STOCK » May 13th, 2011, 9:20 am

i would like to order a new Lakota Dictionary and pay by check. HANK STOCK/GOLDEN EAGLE
hmsenterprises1876@gmail.com Please tell me how to do so.
HANK STOCK
Activity level - škíŋčiye šni

Re: new lakota dictionary

Postby Nina » May 13th, 2011, 9:51 am

Hello Hank,

Welcome to the Forum, I'm happy to meet you. To answer your question, you can order the New Lakota Dictionary direct from the publishers by writing or telephoning the Lakota Language Consortium head office here:

Lakota Language Consortium
2620 N. Walnut St., Ste. 1280
Bloomington, IN 47404

Tel. (888) 525-6828
Fax (812) 961-0141

They will be able to tell you the postal charge, and when you should send your check.

Best wishes,

Nina
Nina

I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Follow this link to learn how you can help too: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4005
Nina

Postby Ken » May 13th, 2011, 7:00 pm

admin wrote:We would like to share that the second edition of the New Lakota Dictionary is currently being printed and should be available sometime in July.

The second edition contains 3,160 new word entries, there are many additions to the grammar section and many overall improvements in the text.

We hope that Lakota language students will enjoy this edition of the dictionary.

This is good news! I read about it yesterday and placed my order. I've used a lot of language materials and seen most of the orthographies out there during the years that I've studied Lakota, but in the past couple years since I've had the NLD and have been using SLO, my Lakota language knowledge has increased much more than all the previous years combined. It has helped my Lakota language studies immensely!

It was difficult for me to get use to SLO, my eyes weren't use to the extra accents marks, but now that I've gotten use to it, I like it very much. I wish that it was available when I first started out studying Lakota, because many words I was pronouncing incorrectly, and also accenting words on the wrong syllables without knowing.

I also very much enjoy the sample sentences that are included in the NLD. Yesterday while looking up the word éeye, I read this sample sentence: "Wayášiče šni éeye wawókiye wačhíŋ po. Instead of criticizing, try to help people." This was such a positive message for me. There's been a lot of criticism about LLC going on around, I've even expressed my opinion a few times.. but criticism is not helping me or anyone else to better learn Lakota. I think that this would be a good positive affirmation for everyone!

I also like the verb conjugations and much more that is in the dictionary, I could probably go on for another page, but I won't.. so, I'd like to finish by thanking LLC for their awesome dictionary and learning materials.

Líla wóphila ečičiya pélo! :good:

Ken
Ken
Activity level - ičízaptaŋ
Activity level - ičízaptaŋ

Postby georgem » May 24th, 2011, 11:32 am

I just ordered the current edition. Is there any reason to have both?
georgem
Activity level - ičínuŋpa

Postby Nina » May 24th, 2011, 3:40 pm

georgem wrote:I just ordered the current edition. Is there any reason to have both?

Hi Michael,

The second edition contains everything that was in the first edition so you won't be missing anything by not having the first one.

There is however a very strong reason to have both - if you already have the first edition! The new version has been updated and corrected after feedback and input from fluent native speakers and teachers, has more pages, contains more than 3000 new words, has an expanded Grammar section - need I say more? Personally, I can hardly wait!!

Nina
Nina

Nina

Postby georgem » June 7th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Is the NLD available on this site?
georgem

Postby Nina » June 7th, 2011, 3:52 pm

georgem wrote:Is the NLD available on this site?

NLD-O/NLD-I is the up-to-date on-line version, but it doesn't include the valuable Grammar section. You can pre-order the print version here: http://stores.languagepress.com/Detail.bok?no=35

Nina
Nina

Nina

Postby Jana » June 9th, 2011, 6:30 am

Great there will be a second printed edition now! I am looking forward to have the new dictionary in my hands. :-V-:

Although the Online Dictionary is of greatest help and much faster than looking up a word in the printed dictionary - and I really would not want to miss the Instant Dictionary :angel: ...
But if I hear a word and cannot get its spelling correctly it is sometimes difficult to type it in a way the online dictionary can guess what I mean. Then skimming through the printed dictionary is the only way to find it.

And recently I am often without internet (on the move and not finally settled yet) and then it is priceless to have the printed dictionary at hand.

Tókša akhé!
Jana
Jana
Activity level - ičíakenapčiyuŋka
Activity level - ičíakenapčiyuŋka

Postby GIMike » June 16th, 2011, 8:01 am

I've just gone to the site listed in the OP, and it shows it's in stock, not in pre-order. Does that mean they finished printing early?
GIMike

Postby Nina » June 16th, 2011, 8:31 am

GIMike wrote:I've just gone to the site listed in the OP, and it shows it's in stock, not in pre-order. Does that mean they finished printing early?

I guess it does! That's good news indeed!

Nina
Nina

Nina

Return to Wótȟaŋiŋ na yaótȟaŋiŋpi - NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS