Sound for NLD

Sound for NLD

Postby admin » January 21st, 2011, 4:23 am

The Lakota Language Consortium is actively searching for funds and grants that would enable us to create the audio version of the New Lakota Dictionary. We hope that as soon as sufficient funding is available to buy the technical equipment and pay the native speakers for their time and work on the recording, we will start putting sound files to the on-line dictionary.

The hope is that in the first part of the project we will record the headwords (lemmas). In the second part we will record some of the conjugation forms (1s, 2s and 1p) and finally we will record example sentences. This project will require quite a lot of work on programming, e.g. every item in the database will have to have a specific ID to attach the sound file to.

We hope that those of you who use the on-line version of the NLD will find this enhancement helpful.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sound for NLD

Postby Nina » January 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm

admin wrote:We hope that those of you who use the on-line version of the NLD will find this enhancement helpful.

I, for one, will find this invaluable, especially when finding a new word. Hearing it spoken will surely help to cement the correct spelling and pronunciation firmly into my brain. Too often I think I've learned a new word, but when I come to use it I can't remember whether there is aspiration or not, where exactly is the stress - but with this innovation I'll be able to add a friendly voice to my mental data-base and make fewer spelling mistakes. (Well, that's the plan!)

I can't begin to imagine the hours of work and dedication that this project will demand. LLC truly deserves to receive grants for this, and for all its inspirational projects.

Nina
Nina

I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Follow this link to learn how you can help too: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4005
Nina
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akézaptaŋ
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akézaptaŋ

Postby NancyD » January 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm

Thank you so much! This will be a wonderful addition. :-V-:

As Nina said, hearing the spoken word helps with learning the language. :good:
Tȟuŋkášilayapi tȟawápaha kiŋháŋ owíhaŋkešniyaŋ hé nážiŋ kte kštó.
“I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?”
Donation Confirmation # is 841269.
NancyD
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akénuŋpa
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akénuŋpa

Postby Tacanipiluta » March 19th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Háu, Áta čhó ! :D
Tacanipiluta
Activity level - ičínapčiyuŋka
Activity level - ičínapčiyuŋka

Return to Wótȟaŋiŋ na yaótȟaŋiŋpi - NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS