New Book

New Book

Postby fdangelo » August 11th, 2023, 10:00 am

Longtime member and Forum contributor, Oscar Wybrant (Gnugnúska) together with Florence D’Angelo (fdangelo), have published a historical fiction novel, Niglíču…She Comes Out Alive…A Story of Wounded Knee, that will be of interest to Forum members. Meticulously researched and replete with Lakȟóta language sentences and phrases, the story is a fictionalized account of a traumatized young girl survivor of the massacre. For more details and to purchase the book, please go to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Nigl%C3%AD%C4%8D ... C72&sr=8-1
When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.--Tecumseh
fdangelo
Activity level - ičínapčiyuŋka
Activity level - ičínapčiyuŋka

Re: New Book

Postby Jac and Nakoma 1 » September 10th, 2023, 4:47 am

Mitákuyepi,
I have just read the first 100 pages of Niglíču written by Florence and Oscar. I am really impressed about how quickly they brought this little book girl to life. She has such spirit, character and seems so real. It is very touching and heartwarming to see the relationship between the little girl and her mother, grandfather and Loud Bear. In many adult books they focus too much on description and use many words you only find in the dictionary. Not so this book. It has a wonderful flow to it helped along by Lakota sentences written in the Lakota alphabet (wonderful to see) and then the translation in English. It is not a book to be rushed. You need to take time to remember the terrible events. (You will also need a large box of Kleenex!)
So I give this book a top rating for what I have read so far and will be interested to see what happens next. So grab a copy, your coffee and cookies and settle down for a good read.
Well done Florence and Gnugnúška!
Tókša :)
Jac and Nakoma 1
Activity level - ičíakešakowiŋ

Postby Jac and Nakoma 1 » September 19th, 2023, 1:33 pm

Mitákuyepi,
I have read the next 100 pages. The people are so real I feel like I know them. You have already managed to squeeze in so many traditions and the Black Robe gets himself frequently into hot water as he doesn't know them and their importance. I can practically see steam coming from Loud Bears ears on one occasion were he is so angry. You have to smile at Há Sápa's young boys attempt at romance with Niglíču! Then the authors have cleverly added some "in house" fun (meaning fun you'd only understand if you know something of the Lakota language.) I definitely have sympathy for Black Robe "The language was so full of verbs for everything... specific verbs for specific actions". He gets all confused with all the coming and going verbs, don't we all!. Then when he trys to say "waíŋmnaŋke" he says, I am never going to run anywhere if I have to say that! "
And then there is the stew! (You know?!!!!!!!!!) and the story around it has the A - Z of emotions!
Looking forward to my next 100 pages!
Jac and Nakoma 1

Postby Jac and Nakoma 1 » October 15th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Mitákuyepi
So the next 100 pages!!!
I don't want to give anything away but the horse story was very funny. When people don't know customs and traditions or even the language it's easy for mix-ups to happen. Then such a lot of action. I couldn't wait to turn over the pages to see how events unfolded. What a true kȟolá and in the very traditional meaning.
As for millefeuille, the cake of 1000 leaves - very clever description but
haúŋ,haúŋ,haúŋ (expression of frustration and disappointment)
I went up to my local grocery store which has a small cake section. They had the sign saying millefeuille but not one to be had. Why was it the only one not available! Another day!
Jac and Nakoma 1

Postby Jac and Nakoma 1 » November 3rd, 2023, 9:12 am

Mitákuyepi,
Just finished this book.I was kept guessing the outcome right to the very end.
Everyone with an interest in Lakota history should read this. It has been written in an accurate, caring, exciting way.
Well done Florence and Oscar!!!!
Jac and Nakoma 1

Return to Wótȟaŋiŋ na yaótȟaŋiŋpi - NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS