Donation drive for audio component of the dictionary

Postby admin » April 11th, 2013, 11:00 am

Dear Lakota language enthusiast!
Would you like to hear the Lakota words in the online Lakota dictionary recorded by fluent native speakers? If your answer is yes, then please read further.

As you know, the New Lakota Dictionary has been instrumental in the Lakota language revitalization. It has been used by thousands of students in reservation schools as well as by teachers, community members, language activists and Lakota language learners and enthusiasts all over the world.

We would like to further develop the dictionary so that it can do even better service to the Lakota language documentation and revitalization. We have many plans on how to enhance the dictionary. Among them is the inclusion of the audio format for each word and each example sentence.

For the past four years we have been trying to secure grants or other sources of funding that would help us do the audio recordings with fluent native speakers. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a grant agency interested in this project.

We know that as a member of the Lakota language forum, you care deeply about the Lakota language. This is why we are reaching out to you with the hope that you could help us fund the audio recording.

Here is what we need:

Before the end of June 2013 we need $5,000 to pay native speakers to record 22,000 headwords in the dictionary.
If we raise $20,000 then we will be able to record every one of the 40,000 example sentence.
Funds from this donation drive will be allocated exclusively to native speakers who will be recording the words and sentences.

The audio format of the dictionary would also be an excellent learning resource that would help you learn Lakota. But more importantly, it would help the children and young people in Lakota country to revive their ancestral language.

Currently, there are 6,300 members in the forum. If only 100 of them would give $50 each, then we could record all the headwords in the dictionary. If 400 members donate $50 each, then we could record not only words, but also the example sentences.

For four years, we have been providing you with free access to the online dictionary and all its functions. We now ask you to share the responsibility for the future of the language and help its survival by donating $50 for the audio documentation. We know that you care for the language, that you want to learn it and that you want the Lakota people to carry the language into the future. Here is your chance to participate in making this happen.

We are not asking you for a gift. We are asking you to support something that you care deeply about. We are asking you to support a project that will benefit your own learning. We cannot do this without your help.

To support the project please follow this link:

https://npo.justgive.org/nonprofits/don ... 20-1158601

If you decided to support this project with a donation, please help us motivate other forum members by making a post about this below. Also, you can temporarily change your signature to something like: “I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?”

If you know other Lakota language enthusiasts among your friends, please let them know about this, on Facebook, over e-mail and elsewhere.
We very much appreciate your help and we will keep you updated about the progress of the drive.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Donation drive for audio component of the dictionary

Postby Kostya » April 11th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I'm all for that project!
I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project (Donation #: 841496). Can you help too?
Kostya
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéwaŋži
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéwaŋži

Postby admin » April 11th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Kostya wrote:I'm all for that projec!

Kostya, we very much appreciate your support of this project.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby NancyD » April 11th, 2013, 2:06 pm

I sent some money to the JustGive website. I'm all for the idea. :)
Tȟuŋkášilayapi tȟawápaha kiŋháŋ owíhaŋkešniyaŋ hé nážiŋ kte kštó.
“I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?”
Donation Confirmation # is 841269.
NancyD
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akénuŋpa

Postby admin » April 11th, 2013, 2:12 pm

NancyD wrote:I sent some money to the JustGive website. I'm all for the idea. :)

Nancy, your support is greatly appreciated. You made an important contribution on behalf of the Lakota language documentation.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby NancyD » April 11th, 2013, 2:24 pm

admin wrote:
NancyD wrote:I sent some money to the JustGive website. I'm all for the idea. :)

Nancy, your support is greatly appreciated. You made an important contribution on behalf of the Lakota language documentation.

You're most welcome and thank you. I'm looking forward to the audio section. :)
“I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?”
NancyD

Postby Susi Jacobsen » April 11th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Mitákuyepi!

This is a GREAT idea! But for my situation dividing the donation into 2 payments is helpful. Does that work for you? (Missing you all terribly :cry: Will be back ASAP)

T.A.
Susi
Susi Jacobsen
Activity level - ičíwikčemna

Postby Daniel » April 12th, 2013, 1:07 am

I am all for that great project too.
I just have helped the Lakota Language by donating to the online Lakota dictionary.
But I intend to help the audio dictionary project soon, too.

Daniel
Uŋkíšnala uŋkókihipi šni éyaš akhíptaŋ ečhúŋk’uŋpi háŋtaŋš, takómni ečhétuuŋyaŋpi uŋkókihipe ló. Níš-eyá mázaska čónala yéčʼuŋ oyákihi. https://npo.justgive.org/nonprofits/don ... 20-1158601
Daniel
Activity level - ičíwikčemna yámni akéyamni

Postby admin » April 12th, 2013, 3:40 am

Susi Jacobsen wrote:This is a GREAT idea! But for my situation dividing the donation into 2 payments is helpful. Does that work for you?

Susi,

that is certainly alright! We thank you for your kind support.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby admin » April 12th, 2013, 3:42 am

Daniel wrote:I am all for that great project too.
I just have helped the Lakota Language by donating to the online Lakota dictionary.
But I intend to help the audio dictionary project soon, too.

Daniel

Daniel, we are most encouraged by your generosity. Wóphila tȟáŋka!
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby admin » April 12th, 2013, 7:22 am

UPDATE on the donation drive.

During the first day we received $837 from 21 donors in support of the audio component of the dictionary.
We send many thanks to all the donors and we want to assure you that these funds will be used towards recording Lakota words. With the current amount we will be able to pay native speakers to record approximately one fifth of the dictionary headwords.

This is very encouraging and we hope that more forum members and other Lakota language learners will help us bring this project to life. We still need $4,163 to be able to record all the headwords currently in the dictionary.

For this we need 416 people to donate $10, or 208 people to donate $20 or 104 people to donate $41.

We sincerely hope there are more people out there who care about the Lakota language deeply enough to support this vital project.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kevin » April 12th, 2013, 9:56 am

Akhé wičhákičažužupi aŋpétu kiŋháŋ takómni mázaska wéč’uŋ kte. Akšáka wí iyóhila wáŋčala šna míčažužupi.
Yuwáŋžila uŋškáŋpi háŋtaŋš Lakȟótiya wóglakapi wičhóiye wówapi kiŋ lé ečhétuuŋyaŋpi uŋkókihipi. Together, we can make the Lakota talking dictionary a reality.
Kevin
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéšagloǧaŋ

Postby dlostrander » April 12th, 2013, 11:11 am

Háu mitákuyepi

Lakȟólʼiya Owáakhiye Othí kiŋ él ówapȟa kiŋ iyówiŋmayakhiyapi čha philámayaya ečhíčiye ló. Yuŋkȟáŋ Čheží Háŋske hé é na Wašʼágya Číkʼala nuphíŋ mázaska etáŋ ničʼúpi.

Tókša akhé
dennis
Owótȟaŋla iglúha yo.
"I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?" Donation confirmation # is 841665.
dlostrander
Activity level - ičíaketopa

Postby Thunderbear » April 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

I have given to help the program may it be a successful one.
Thunderbear
Activity level - škíŋčiye šni

Postby Susi Jacobsen » April 17th, 2013, 11:08 am

admin wrote:
Susi Jacobsen wrote:This is a GREAT idea! But for my situation dividing the donation into 2 payments is helpful. Does that work for you?

Susi,

that is certainly alright! We thank you for your kind support.

Half done. (and thank you for all you do.)

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby GaryG » April 18th, 2013, 12:47 pm

yes
GaryG

Postby Wilfried Baumgarten » April 27th, 2013, 6:44 am

This is a great project, and I am happy to support it with my limited possibilities.
My donation was sent last week.
Wilfried Baumgarten
Activity level - ičíšagloǧaŋ
Activity level - ičíšagloǧaŋ

Postby Anna » April 29th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Great Idea!!
I have just sent my donation... and sorry if i'm late and for my absence from the forum during these two months..
Bye
Anna
I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project(Donation # is 846235). Can you help too?
Anna
Activity level - ičíakewaŋži
Activity level - ičíakewaŋži

Postby admin » April 30th, 2013, 8:22 am

Anna wrote:Great Idea!!
I have just sent my donation... and sorry if i'm late and for my absence from the forum during these two months..
Bye
Anna

Anna, you are not late. We have until the end of June to raise enough funding for this project.
Your donation is very much appreciated.
So is Wilfried's and everybody else.

Below is an update on the donation drive.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby admin » April 30th, 2013, 8:24 am

An update on the donation drive so far:

As of today we have raised $2500 for the dictionary audio component project. This is exciting and we are very grateful to all the donors!

In order to record all the entries currently in the New Lakota Dictionary Online we need another $2500, which means we need $25 from 100 of the forum members, or $50 from 50 forum members or supporters.

This project is very important for Lakota language revitalization and for all who want to learn the language, so we hope that others will come and support it with donations. Wóphila kte.

To donate, please go to this link:
https://npo.justgive.org/nonprofits/don ... 20-1158601
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wendell » April 30th, 2013, 10:22 am

I donated. Best wishes from Wendell.
I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?
Your Donation Confirmation # is 846402
Wendell
Activity level - ičítopa
Activity level - ičítopa

Location: USA, Connecticut. Born and raised on the Cheyenne River Sioux rez

Postby NancyD » April 30th, 2013, 10:31 am

Wendell wrote:I donated. Best wishes from Wendell.

Uhhh! It went under my name instead of Wendell's. :oops:
Would someone change it so it's under his name.
Wendell didn't make a new account and used mine.
Sorry about that.
Thanks! :rose:
NancyD

Postby Susi Jacobsen » April 30th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Mitákuyepi!

I made the 2nd half of my pledge but couldn't get across to the machine that the message was for here NOT a dead relative or myself- or a dead self either! After wrestling with it for half an hour or so I decided to let it win. So here's the message basically:
Thank you for allowing us all to participate in this extremely important and worthwhile project and the excitement of seeing and HEARING it come to fruition!

Wóphila Tȟáŋka!

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby Daniel » May 1st, 2013, 2:32 am

Háu mitákuyepi,

Last month I happily sent my donation to the one-year online dictionary.
Today I have just sent a second donation for the dictionary audio component project this time.

I am very happy to support this great project and I hope it will be successful. :D

Daniel
Uŋkíšnala uŋkókihipi šni éyaš akhíptaŋ ečhúŋk’uŋpi háŋtaŋš, takómni ečhétuuŋyaŋpi uŋkókihipe ló. Níš-eyá mázaska čónala yéčʼuŋ oyákihi. https://npo.justgive.org/nonprofits/don ... 20-1158601
Daniel

Postby lbuie93 » May 5th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Háu mitákuyepi,

I have made my donation. May this project prosper :)
Last edited by lbuie93 on June 22nd, 2014, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Linda Buie

"I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?" Donation #850043 and 1009450
lbuie93

Postby Kevin » May 12th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Lečháš mázaska wéč’uŋ čha tóna naháŋȟčiŋ héčhanuŋpi šni héči hená léčhel wóčhičiyakapi wačhíŋ: "Tókhel uŋkókihipika Lakȟótiyapi glukínipi kiŋ lé uŋpátitaŋpi na él škíŋuŋkičiyapi kta iyéčheča. Iyúha owáakhiye othí kiŋ lé uŋkíwaštepi éyaš tóhaŋni mázaska uŋkílapi šni. Éeye, Lakȟótiya wóuŋspe kiŋ lená iyúha išíčhokčhola uŋk’úpi. Čha waŋná uŋkíš heháŋl wówauŋčhiŋyepi kta waštéka kéčhaŋmi. Iyúha takúŋl wičhúŋk’upi uŋkókihipi. Uŋkíšnala uŋkókihipi šni éyaš akhíptaŋ ečhúŋk’uŋpi háŋtaŋš, takómni ečhétuuŋyaŋpi uŋkókihipe ló. Ho héčhetu weló.
Yuwáŋžila uŋškáŋpi háŋtaŋš Lakȟótiya wóglakapi wičhóiye wówapi kiŋ lé ečhétuuŋyaŋpi uŋkókihipi. Together, we can make the Lakota talking dictionary a reality.
Kevin

Postby dlostrander » May 15th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Háu mitákuyepi

Wámaphi na philámičʼiya čha akhé mázaska wéčʼuŋ.

Tókša akhé
dennis
Owótȟaŋla iglúha yo.
"I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Can you help too?" Donation confirmation # is 841665.
dlostrander

Postby admin » May 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Friends and relatives,

here is an update on the donation drive. As of now we have raised $3361.60 in donations for the Audio component of the New Lakota Dictionary.
It is very encouraging to receive donations for this project from many of our active forum members as well as from some people who are not active within the forum. You are all wonderful.

Before the end of June we will need another $1700 in order to be able to record all of the dictionary headwords with fluent speakers. We hope that other dictionary users and learners can help with whatever amount they can afford to support the project.

If only 20% of the forum members were willing to support the project, we could then record not only the headwords, but also the example sentences. So let us know if you have any ideas on how to inspire more people to support this important project for documenting the language and creating a fundamental resources for generations to come.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 24th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Mitákuyepi!

When June comes I will send another pledge towards this laudable goal. In the mean time, I am working on other avenues that might produce more revenue than I alone can contribute. We'll see... :)

T.A.

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby Skvodo » May 25th, 2013, 5:57 pm

What do you think about these Lakota recordings?
http://www.forvo.com/languages/lkt/
Skvodo

Postby admin » May 26th, 2013, 1:44 am

Skvodo wrote:What do you think about these Lakota recordings?
http://www.forvo.com/languages/lkt/

Obviously, none of the recordings on the above website were recorded by a native speaker as there is a heavy foreign accent on each and every word. A lot of the words are actually mispronounced, with certain sounds left out or other sounds added. Moreover, the phonemic quality of many sounds is different from how native speakers pronounce them.
Few of the oldest recordings (recorded by a deeper male voice) have somewhat less of a foreign accent, although they too are obviously recorded by someone who is not a native speaker of Lakota.

Such recordings are a disservice to the Lakota language and to the learners' community as they do not serve as a good pronunciation model.

The goal of our projects is to have native speakers record the words to create a reliable reference to Lakota pronunciation for the generations to come. Such task can and should only be done by native speakers. People who think otherwise have a serious lack of judgement on the matter.

We ask all who are serious about learning or supporting the Lakota language documentation and revitalization to try and help us create the audio component of the dictionary by making a donation in support of it. You can donate whatever amount is affordable for you. We trust that those who are serious will come to aid the language. Wóphila.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daniel » May 26th, 2013, 4:01 am

Hená eháŋkʼuŋ wówičakȟe yeló. :good: :clapping:
Daniel

Postby AndyC » May 27th, 2013, 8:33 am

I have just donated my $50 to help with the audio dictionary.

I live in the UK and have recently started to learn Lakota and am using the `New Lakota Dictionary 2nd Edition`.

To be able to hear the correct pronunciation for the words would be more than I could ever wish for.

Good luck to everyone at the LLC.
AndyC

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 27th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Kevin wrote:Akhé wičhákičažužupi aŋpétu kiŋháŋ takómni mázaska wéč’uŋ kte. Akšáka wí iyóhila wáŋčala šna míčažužupi.

(In a note to you I said the NLD-O was disabled. I lied! I just tried it again and it works! COOL!)
Susi Jacobsen

Postby bobprue » May 28th, 2013, 8:29 am

Bringing the sounds online is a great help to us who live far away. Bob
I donated to the online dictionary in memorial to my father. Donation #: 853474
bobprue

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 28th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Susi Jacobsen wrote:Mitákuyepi!

When June comes I will send another pledge towards this laudable goal. In the mean time, I am working on other avenues that might produce more revenue than I alone can contribute. We'll see... :)

T.A.

Susi

I am excited! I spoke to our church board this evening and got permission to raise funds for the audio project! We are a small church so I'm not sure how much it will be, but they were supportive and every little bit helps. I will collect it and send it on by the deadline of June 30th. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, and eyes are crossed we do well! :D

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby Jan » May 28th, 2013, 10:41 pm

Susi Jacobsen wrote:
Susi Jacobsen wrote:Mitákuyepi!

T.A.

Susi

I am excited! I spoke to our church board this evening and got permission to raise funds for the audio project! We are a small church so I'm not sure how much it will be, but they were supportive and every little bit helps. I will collect it and send it on by the deadline of June 30th. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, and eyes are crossed we do well! :D

Susi

Susi,

your effort on behalf of the Lakota language is greatly appreciated. It is so encouraging to see Lakota language learners and enthusiasts making a contribution to saving the language.
Lakȟól’iyapi kiŋ lé íškiŋničiye kiŋ hé líla wóphila tȟáŋka ȟča. Toná Lakȟól’iyapi uŋspéič’ičhiyapi na íyopaštakagya úŋpi kiŋ lená iyápi kiŋ úŋ tȟáŋtaŋhaŋ takúku kič’úŋpi kiŋ hé uŋ líla waš’áŋg’uŋyaŋpe ló.
Lé Jan miyé yeló.
Blihíč’iyapi na Lakȟól’iyapi kiŋ čhaŋtét’iŋsya yutáŋyaŋkel uŋspéič’ičhiya po. Héčhel uŋglúkinipi kte ló.
Jan

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 29th, 2013, 9:49 am

Jan-

Hope it can do some good. I'm a little nervous as I only get one chance to present our case- this Sunday. But then the rest of the month will be to receive funds as people want to give, so I'm hopeful... and very thankful for the opportunity. The board was very gracious about it and very interested and supportive of the project (not to mention impressed with NLDO and the work of the LLC!).

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby NancyD » May 29th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Susi Jacobsen wrote:Jan-

Hope it can do some good. I'm a little nervous as I only get one chance to present our case- this Sunday. But then the rest of the month will be to receive funds as people want to give, so I'm hopeful... and very thankful for the opportunity. The board was very gracious about it and very interested and supportive of the project (not to mention impressed with NLDO and the work of the LLC!).

Susi

Thank you so much Susi for your dedication and for going to your church to help. :rose:
NancyD

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 29th, 2013, 5:49 pm

NancyD wrote:
Susi Jacobsen wrote:Jan-

Susi

Thank you so much Susi for your dedication and for going to your church to help. :rose:

Nancy-

They're a very socially conscientious and giving group so I'm really hopeful- if I can just pitch it right! :blush:
Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby DanaHerManyHorses » May 29th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I'm a single mom but I will donate.. Where do we go to do this on the site?
Pilamaya
DanaHerManyHorses
Activity level - ičínuŋpa

Postby Daniel » May 29th, 2013, 11:16 pm

DanaHerManyHorses wrote:I'm a single mom but I will donate.. Where do we go to do this on the site?
Pilamaya

Háu Dana, :)

To support the project please follow this link.

The answer was at the top of this page (see admin's post).

Tókša akhé, :rose:
Daniel
Daniel

Postby DanaHerManyHorses » May 30th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Han Daniel and Wopila for the reply I will donate tonight! :-)
DanaHerManyHorses

Postby Susi Jacobsen » May 30th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Mitákuyepi!

I just made my June donation- 2 days early! :D How about you?!

(Of course it helped that I got paid early... ;) )

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby Salem » June 16th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Got my donation in!

I'm sure we can all agree how important it is to help preserve languages from completely disappearing. :-)
Salem

Postby Susi Jacobsen » June 23rd, 2013, 4:25 pm

Help! FAST :shock:

My last contribution must be in the form of a check. Who should it be made out to and what is the address to get it there on time?! :bomb:

Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby wmeya » June 23rd, 2013, 4:51 pm

Hi Susi,

Thanks for wanting to contribute to the Lakota Dictionary Audio Project.

You can mail your contribution to:

Lakota Language Consortium
2620 N. Walnut St., Suite 1280
Bloomington, IN 47404
USA

Please put: "Donation for NLD-Audio" in the memo line.

Philáuŋyayapi! We thank you! č
wmeya

Postby Susi Jacobsen » June 23rd, 2013, 5:20 pm

wmeya wrote:Hi Susi,

Thanks for wanting to contribute to the Lakota Dictionary Audio Project.

You can mail your contribution to:

Lakota Language Consortium
2620 N. Walnut St., Suite 1280
Bloomington, IN 47404
USA

Please put: "Donation for NLD-Audio" in the memo line.

Philáuŋyayapi! We thank you! č

Thanks for your quick reply! It makes all the difference in the world, believe me! :D
Susi
Susi Jacobsen

Postby Coedwig » June 24th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I haven’t been active in the forum for quite a long time unfortunately, but when I used the dictionary the other day, I noticed that money was needed for the audio recordings. I remember this idea being discussed and I think it’s very good and important and it’s something I want to support very much. Unfortunately, I’m young and in university, so I don’t have an awful lot of money, but if everything went correctly with the donation, I shall have made a small contribution. (I can’t double check, but someone at Justgive confirmed that my donation went through, #862916)

I hope it will help the dictionary towards preserving the language and aiding learners on their way to fluency.

Philámyayapi!
All the best,
/Olof
Coedwig
Activity level - ičízaptaŋ
Activity level - ičízaptaŋ

Postby Jan » June 26th, 2013, 8:15 am

Thanks everyone for the support. Here is a news report giving an update on the project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db00bZUi ... e=youtu.be
Lé Jan miyé yeló.
Blihíč’iyapi na Lakȟól’iyapi kiŋ čhaŋtét’iŋsya yutáŋyaŋkel uŋspéič’ičhiya po. Héčhel uŋglúkinipi kte ló.
Jan

Next

Return to Wótȟaŋiŋ na yaótȟaŋiŋpi - NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS