13%
Thichatku
11%
Leave as is now
24%

Total votes : 38

Web font for bold-face

Postby Kostya » July 29th, 2011, 7:10 am

I think we should change the font-face of the current bold-face ('b'-code), because the computers and browsers that are not uptodate cannot present Lakota-specific letters if the font is not installed.

We can use any of the following web-fonts. These do not require preinstalling on a clients computer.
Please vote for your favorite font. The fonts are 1.5 of their standard size. We can also discuss the size of the fonts.

Gmigmeya: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hikheze: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hlahla: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hoskiski: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Thehan: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
ThichatkuB: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ

And this is the Normal size without bold-face:

Gmigmeya: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hikheze: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hlahla: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Hoskiski: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
Thehan: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
ThichatkuB: Iktó "Aŋpétu léčhečaka čha él matʼíŋ kta huŋšé" ečhíŋ
I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project (Donation #: 841496). Can you help too?
Kostya
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéwaŋži

Re: Web font for bold-face

Postby Kostya » July 29th, 2011, 7:15 am

Note also that you may use web-fonts right now - there is a "font=" button at your "post reply" filling form, so you can select a text, press "font=" button and then type the required font after =-sign. (The list of available web-fonts is shown as a tooltip when you mouse-over the button:

huȟnáȟyabi yačhíŋǧeš?

Code: Select all
[size=150][font=Thichatku]huȟnáȟyabi yačhíŋǧeš?[/font][/size]
I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project (Donation #: 841496). Can you help too?
Kostya

Postby Nina » July 31st, 2011, 3:20 pm

Kostya wrote:We can also discuss the size of the fonts.

My view is that the font size of bolded text should be the same size as unbolded text, i.e. normal size. 1.5 is too big.

Nina
Nina

I helped the Lakota language by donating to the audio dictionary project. Follow this link to learn how you can help too: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=4005
Nina
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akézaptaŋ
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akézaptaŋ

Postby Kostya » July 31st, 2011, 3:30 pm

Current settings of the bold-face:
AÁBCČDEÉFGǦHȞIJKLMNŊOÓPQRSŠTUÚVWXYZŽʼaábcčdeéfgǧhȟiíjklmnŋoópqrsštuúvwxyzž0123456789
AÁBCČDEÉFGǦHȞIJKLMNŊOÓPQRSŠTUÚVWXYZŽʼaábcčdeéfgǧhȟiíjklmnŋoópqrsštuúvwxyzž0123456789

.lktbold {
font-family: LThehan_EOT,'Lakhota Thehan';
font-weight: normal;
font-size: 1.2em;
color: #301010;
}
Kostya

Postby Kostya » July 31st, 2011, 3:35 pm

Although people vote for Gmigmeya font, I guess it is not very good in smaller sizes:

Gmigmeya AÁBCČDEÉFGǦHȞIJKLMNŊOÓPQRSŠTUÚVWXYZŽʼaábcčdeéfgǧhȟiíjklmnŋoópqrsštuúvwxyzž0123456789
Kostya

Postby Kostya » August 2nd, 2011, 2:36 am

I'll decrease the bold font size tonight.

What concerns is that in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 Lakota text is shown with squares instead of Lakota letters, unless you use a BBCode (as 'b' - bold) with web-fonts.
forum-screenshot.PNG
forum-screenshot.PNG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 52411 times

I can change the default font in the message content (it is now Arial sans-serif) to any of the available web-fonts...
Kostya

Postby Kostya » August 2nd, 2011, 2:38 pm

Friends, please check the current version: Gmigmeya web-font for default (unbolded) and italics font of the posts, and Hlahla for bold and bold-italics.

The negative side of using web-font for the basic font is that the text appears with some delay, after images are shown.
But the positive side is that users without Lakota fonts installed on their computers or having old browsers would see the Lakota text OK, without empty squares for šžȟǧ.

Test:
"Igmú sápa waŋ bluhá - you translated this as I have a white cat, it should be I have a black cat."

Possible further changes for default and bold:
1. Change fonts
2. Change bold font color (currently - dark brown)
3. font sizes (currently bold is 10% bigger than default)
Kostya

Postby John Vander Veer » August 2nd, 2011, 5:55 pm

Kostya

I think you have fixed a vexing problem on my Verizon Droid phone. I no longer see squares when using that devise for Forum access! :D
I just checked out an Ipad2 and it works there also. Using the NLD-O and the pad's virtual keyboard I get the correct Lakota fonts. ( I did not download fonts to either devise.)

:good:
John
John Vander Veer
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéšakowiŋ
Activity level - ičíwikčemna núŋpa akéšakowiŋ

Postby Kostya » August 3rd, 2011, 1:49 am

John Vander Veer wrote:I think you have fixed a vexing problem on my Verizon Droid phone. I no longer see squares when using that devise for Forum access! :D
I just checked out an Ipad2 and it works there also. Using the NLD-O and the pad's virtual keyboard I get the correct Lakota fonts. ( I did not download fonts to either devise.

--That's great! I know that Android and iOS based smarphones and tablet PCs support CSS3 web-font technology so it would be possible to view Forum and use NLDO without installing Lakota fonts.

Also, I'm learning the HTML5 technologies (client side database, offline version of a web-page) that would enable making web pages as applications for iPhone and Android - you can save the web-page to your "Home panel" in the smartphone as a usual app, and use it even when your wifi or 4G internet is off.
This can include NLDO, quizzes and "flashcards" for memorizing words.

The only factor that slows down the developing is that I don't have (access to) iPhone and Android devices so far but hopefully I'll have soon.
Kostya

Return to Wótȟaŋiŋ na yaótȟaŋiŋpi - NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS